Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Neddies

I'm very pleased to announce the fact that my novel, In The Morning I'll Be Gone, has been shortlisted for Crime Novel of the Year at the 2014 Ned Kelly Awards. In The Morning I'll Be Gone is the third book in the Sean Duffy series and is the one where Duffy gets mixed up in the plot to kill Mrs Thatcher at the 1984 Conservative Party Conservative Conference in Brighton. These are the what the Neddie judges said about it:
“In his use of humour with the grim realities of Belfast in 1984, coupled with a wonderfully constructed locked room mystery, McKinty has produced something really quite extraordinary. There’s a fine line between social commentary and compelling mystery and not many writers, crime or literary, can do both.”
Also on the 2014 shortlist are the excellent PM (Pam) Newton, Garry Disher, Kathryn Fox, Angela Savage & Stephen Orr. I know Garry, Angela & Pam personally and have read their wonderful books, and I'm looking forward to reading Kathryn and Stephen too. 
...
This is the second time I've been up for the Ned Kelly Award. Last year I Hear The Sirens In The Street got shortlisted (Sean Duffy #2) for the big tin helmet. I think Sirens might be the more lyrical book (I love the opening page of that one) but I reckon Morning might be the better constructed novel. Anyway we'll see what the judges say in a month or so. Best of luck of course to my fellow shortlistees....
...
If you want to get any of the Sean Duffy novels please try your local bookshop (and bug them if they dont have them) and you can of course get them on Amazon, B&N, Audible etc.